Harness the Power of Rituals So Your Life Goes Where You Want It to Go
When you feel overwhelmed, because your life is out of control, how do you regain your balance, centeredness, and harmony? Do you have a particular ritual you rely on? Of all the things that empower us, the one that I think is most sustainable is harnessing the power of rituals.
The power of rituals that I’m referring to are the daily actions, habits, routines or patterns that keep you grounded and centered throughout your day. No doubt, you’ve experienced how one event can send you spiraling down until your whole day has been ruined. On the other hand, I hope you’ve also experienced how starting each day with a quiet, mindful practice can give you focus and strength that you can continually draw on throughout any crisis during the day.
Just as we harness a powerful horse to take us in the direction we want it to go, we can engage the power of rituals intentionally with a definite destination in mind. Whether it’s feeling better physically, connecting more fully with loved ones, achieving satisfaction from your work…
Tapping into the power of rituals involves creating an intention, then making repetitive, beneficial choices and actions until they become an ingrained habit. It becomes part of who you are. You wouldn’t consider going a day without engaging in it. Repetition makes your new ritual easier and, once it’s established, it takes much less effort on your part.
We naturally develop rituals around daily activities. Think for a moment how you get ready for work, travel to the office, and how you proceed through your work load. What rituals have you already formed?
I love what Stephen Covey said — “Our character is basically a composite of our habits. Because they are consistent, often unconscious patterns, they constantly, daily, express our character.”
Therefore, harnessing the power of rituals helps you:
- reconnect with what’s important to your inner self.
- become the creator of your reality.
- make order out of life’s chaos.
- enter the zone more easily.
- perform at a predictably high level, without over-thinking.
There are many ways of checking in and reconnecting with yourself. Here are just a few examples of how you can use the power of rituals in your own life:
- Sit outside with a cup of coffee as the sun arises to set intentions for the day.
- Read your collection of inspirational, motivational messages, when stressed, to regain your composure.
- Stop, stretch, breathe to reconnect with what your body is telling you.
- Light a candle or smell essential oils to calm, focus and prepare yourself for a challenge.
- Go to your sacred place, to reflect and meditate on what’s truly important to you.
- Before a challenging event, check in with a trusted friend or coach.
- At the end of each day, grab a drink, go to the back patio, and talk with and listen to your significant other.
The most helpful rituals engage all of your senses, as this anchors the experience and allows you to revisit it in your mind when you need to be centered during the day. Simple and intentional rituals are the best. They set you up for the best possibility of success.
A ritual is usually comprised of a certain series of actions you do over and over again. You can harness the power of rituals by breaking down the individual steps and tweaking each one individually.
Would you like to learn more about the power of rituals in your life? Please contact me and schedule an “Unlocking Your Potential” 30-minute complimentary consultation (in-person, by phone or via Skype). I’d love to brainstorm some ideas with you so it can relieve your feelings of being overwhelmed by your workload or personal responsibilities.
Tags: Habits and Routines
Trackback from your site.