Take Charge of Your Life and Make this the Best Year Yet
“Make New Year’s goals. Dig within, and discover what you would like to have happen in your life this year. This helps you do your part. It is an affirmation that you’re interested in fully living life in the year to come.” ~ Melody Beattie
If you could just blink your eyes and change something in your life, what would it be? Perhaps one of these top 10 New Year’s Resolutions for 2015 is something you want in order to take charge of your life for 2016…
- Lose Weight
- Getting Organized
- Spend Less, Save More
- Enjoy Life to the Fullest
- Stay Fit and Healthy
- Learn Something Exciting
- Quit Smoking
- Help Others in Their Dreams
- Fall in Love
- Spend More Time with Family
The truth is that the lifestyle you have today is a result of a lifetime of choices that can’t be changed in a blink of the eye. If you’re expecting instant results, you will end up frustrated and discouraged. That’s why, of the 45% of the U.S. population who make resolutions every year, only 8% of them achieve their resolutions.
Now that January is almost gone, has your resolve dwindled too? Or are you among the 38% who don’t even bother to make a resolution because you know it’s not going to work any way?
Why don’t New Year’s Resolutions work? Because they’re usually desires that have no structure, plan or steps and rely solely on willpower. Real change involves being willing to be quiet with yourself, think deeply and prepare yourself internally before you ever think about setting a goal. Then when your internal self creates a supportive environment, the goal you want to work on for 2016 will become evident and you’ll be set to make it succeed.
To take charge of your life and create lasting change, it’s important to be:
- Realistic while Dreaming Big
Rather than resolutions, I’ve found an approach that has been working for me for a number of years now. It focuses on creating the best year yet. (A great resource is Jinny Ditzler’s book: Your Best Year Yet!: Ten Questions for Making the Next Twelve Months Your Most Successful Ever.) I use a similar process of thinking, planning, and executing a realistic plan in a systematic way. I start thinking about it in October of every year. Then during the months of November and December, I start to get new ideas for the following year and by January I have reviewed the previous year and created new goals along with the steps to get me there. Don’t worry, if you haven’t given it much thought you still have time to set yourself up for wonderful success in 2016.
How can this process for the best year yet help you take charge of your life? Here are the steps…
- Use the Walt Disney Strategy to creating workable goals for next year. This model involves exploring new ideas from three different perceptual positions. Click on the link to read more.
- Set up measurable steps. So for example, rather than just deciding to exercise more, give yourself a week to join a gym and then schedule how often you will workout each week.
- Get the right support or buddy system. Don’t just tell anybody about your plans. Only share your plans with the yea-sayers. Avoid the downers and nay-sayers. Look for people that are already mastering the skill or have similar motivation to succeed.
- Set up a daily or weekly routine to work on the steps.
- Adjust as new information comes in. You may need to modify your goals to get the results that are important to you.
- Most importantly, stay connected to your purpose and mission. It will continue to reignite the passion and keep you on task.
So, what’s standing in the way of your dream? Your answer will either be an internal or external obstacle. For instance, thinking “there’s no way I can do this” is an internal block. Not having enough money is an external barrier. However neither one can stop you, if you take charge of your life.
- Are you ready to slow down and reflect so you can be intentional about what you really want?
- Do you want to be focused rather than reacting to whatever happens?
- Are you tired of settling and making do with what you have?
- Do you want to direct your energy to what’s most important to you?
- Do you want to make sure you’re not missing out on the best life ever?
- Do you want to live up to your fullest potential?
If you answered “Yes!” to these questions, I’d love to work with you so you can achieve your best year yet. Contact me and we’ll work out a plan that lets you take charge of your life and puts you on the path to the best year yet.