5 Key Values of a Modern Day Renaissance Woman. Is This YOU?
“I want to be a Renaissance Woman. I want to paint, and I want to write, and I want to act, and I just want to do everything.” ~ Emma Watson
Oprah Winfrey, Lady Gaga, Mae Jemison — to name just a few — can all claim the distinction of being a modern day Renaissance Woman. To understand this reference, we have to go back in history to Italy during the 14th century.
Since I grew up in Italy, I greatly enjoyed studying the Renaissance period. The name “Renaissance” comes from the French word meaning “rebirth.” It was a rebirth from the Middle Ages. It gave birth to discovery and exploration, innovation, and a resurgence of classical learning and spiritual enlightenment.
The Renaissance era sparks my imagination, as I mentally put myself at that time when people opened up to new cultures and thoughts and where humanity became front and center. I imagine the excitement brought by learning many trades, the opportunity to apprentice (I know mostly men were allowed to do this, but we know of a few women rebels!) under a master and taking the time to really learn and embody a skill.
The idea of cultivating many interests, not as a way to diverge but as a practice, a way of deepening the capacity for learning and becoming more well-rounded appeals to me. It inspires me! I’m not trying to become a jill-of-all-trades. Rather, I’m looking to find a common thread among many things so they add to my positive outlook, curiosity and thirst for novelty.
The following list contains five key values that a Modern Day Renaissance Woman embodies.
I’ve added a sampling of articles that explore each one in more detail. If you’re a Renaissance Woman, you’ll dive in and enjoy each one!
#1 – Loves continual learning!
- Embodied Learning – A Lifelong Practice that Leads to Excellence and Mastery
- Interested in Continuous Learning? How Adding Slack to Your Day Helps
- Great Leaders Never Stop Learning – Have You?
- Leverage Lifelong Learning into a Life that Fulfills Your Dreams
#2 – Focuses on personal development blending physical, mental, and emotional skills.
- How to Improve Self Image and Fitness with Cutting-Edge Mental Strength Training Techniques
- Stuck in a Exercise Rut? Discover How to Use NLP to Ramp Up Your Fitness Motivation
- Types of Exercise That Foster a Healthy Lifestyle and Greater Happiness
- Developing Discipline and Mental Strength to See You Through the Tough Times
- 12 Strengths of Mentally Strong People – How Many Do You Have?
- Does Your Personal Code of Ethics Need Strengthening?
- How to Become a Stronger Person: Tend to These 4 Personal Strengths
- 9 Ways for Staying Connected and Socially Close While Physically Distancing
- Improve Your Personal and Business Communication through Touch
- How to Relate WITH Others — Healthy Love Relationships Master This Skill
- The Best Conflict Resolution Techniques Are Based on Love
#3 – Displays extraordinary self-knowledge.
- Be Patient with Yourself by Mindfully Observing Without Judgment
- Body Sensations Reveal How Your Emotions Affect You Somatically
- Heal Yourself by Connecting to Your Body’s Wisdom (Plus a Podcast Interview)
- Disconnected? 9 Somatic Practices to Fully Reconnect with Yourself & Others
- Develop Somatic Intelligence to Reconnect with Your Body and Unlock Your Potential
- How to Listen to Your Body and Feel Whole Again
- Self Leadership – The “Missing Link” to Living an Extraordinary Life
#4 – Develops a vision for life, not adopting someone else’s, and dares to follow her dreams.
- Celebrate the Unique Person You Are and Stop Being a People Pleaser
- The ABC’s of a Life Vision: from Dreaming to Achieving
- Kick the Power of Commitment into High Gear & Make Your Dream Come True
- Career Change at 30, 40, 50? It’s Never Too Late to Live Your Dream
- 10 Easy Ways to Boost Self-Confidence and Attain Your Dreams
- What Is the Purpose of Life — For YOU?
#5 – Lives fully.
- Embrace Discomfort – A New Attitude that Purposefully Expands Your Comfort Zone
- Learn How to Be Vulnerable to Expand Your Full Enjoyment of Life
- Find Your Passion, If You Want a Sustainable Business and Happy Life
- Be Kind to Your Future Self – It’s the Secret Sauce for Life!
- Is It Time to Reset Your Life? 5 Easy Steps to Take Advantage of Our Unusual Times
From the Middle Ages to the Renaissance, progress began accelerating until today. However, humanity now feels exhausted from trying to keep up with our fast-paced existence and obsession with social media. It’s time that we choose to slow down and savor what we’re hearing and reading so that we actually learn from it. A world-renowned Renaissance Man (aka polymath) Leonardo da Vinci, wisely said, “Learning never exhausts the mind.”
There’s a big difference between reading, hearing, learning and embodying. Online, we’re told that we can read an article, then claim to be an expert. Does that feel authentic to you? This misinformation is hindering people from becoming real leaders in their industries. They’re not embodying the learning, so don’t feel qualified and subsequently lack confidence.
It’s only when you embody what you learn — you live it with every fiber of your body and mind — that your passion fuels your efforts to build a business or career upon it. In my somatic coaching practice, I love working with the modern day Renaissance Woman. I invite you to click the link in the navigation bar above, “Work with Me”, and see the different services I offer, then book a 30 complimentary call with me and see if we’re a good fit. I’d love to partner with you and provide support as you achieve YOUR dreams!
Thank you for the use of your photo Jan Canty on Unsplash